The Sofia SARS Antigen Fluorescent Immunoassay (FIA) uses advanced immunofluorescence-based lateral flow technology in a sandwich design for qualitative detection of nucleocapsid protein from SARS-CoV-2. The Sofia SARS Antigen FIA, with the Sofia 2 and Sofia analyzers, provides automated and objective results in 15 minutes, allowing for testing of patients suspected of COVID-19/2019-nCoV in near-patient testing environments.
• An antigen is a molecule or structure present on the outside of a pathogen.
• Antigen tests are typically used for early identification of an active infection in symptomatic patients.
• These tests identify the virus through detection of nucleoproteins, similar to influenza tests.
• Viral antigens can often be detected in samples taken from nasal passages and from the throat.
• The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends using a test that detects the SARS-CoV-2 virus, such as one that checks respiratory samples, to test for active infection.